WHAT IS YOUR
WE EACH HAVE A SUPERPOWER
Does yours need to be unearthed?
Our Superpower is a combination of who we are and who we have made ourselves into. It shows up as the gift we offer the world which makes us both enigmatic and vital to the people who need our work the most.
There is one core question that I ask my executive coaching clients.
It always makes them stop for a moment and have one of two reactions.
Reaction One: They get very uncomfortable and can’t find the answer and don’t want to be pressed for it.
Reaction Two: They instantly know what they think and believe, and feel ready to shout it from the rooftops.
There is almost never an in-between.
Here is the question:
“What is your superpower? What do you do better than anyone in the world?”
This is a tough question because it requires a lot of careful thinking and consideration, but when we hit upon the answer, it is the keystone to how we help our communities, our families, and those that we love, because this is a magic we can deliver that no one else is capable of.
I find that it is present in everyone but requires some unearthing.
Since I ask everyone, I felt it was only fair that I take this on myself.
My Superpower Is:
I am uniquely able to see individuals for who they are, to hold them in grace and power in their individuality, and to see them in the groups they belong to. I help them integrate and use their gifts for the highest and best of the group while honoring their own sovereignty.
These superpowers are part what we are made of and part what we learn, blending together in a unique cocktail of self.
To understand why I am who I am, it helps to understand what I have learned.
My Learning List:
- Somatic Experiencing by Peter Levine
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Adult Development and Behavior by Daniel Levinson
- Enneagram by Integrative Enneagram and Integrative 9
- Neuroscience and Immunity to Change by Robert Kegan
- Polyvagal Theory by Stephen Porges
- Internal Family Systems by Richard Schwartz
- Trauma-Informed Coaching by David Treleaven
- Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
- Scandinavian Noaidi from Samí Tradition, resource Umeå University
- The Mayan Art of Curanderismo by Ariana Ayales of Anima Mundi Herbals
- Celtic Shamanism studied in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Herbalism by Adriana Ayales, Rosemary Gladstar, Lost Book of Herbal Remedies
- Professional Certified Coach by International Coaching Federation
- Certified Massage Therapist
- Bachelors of Science in Health at University of Idaho
- Bachelors of Secondary Education: Health, Art, Psychology at University of Idaho
- Food as Medicine
- The Art of Feng Shui at Napier University
If you’d like to calibrate your Superpower, try this format and fill in the blanks:
I am able to ______________(something you were born with or have innate ability to be).
I help ______________________ (something you learned to do or connect via book learning, life-learning, complex experiences, or all of the above).
Write it down. By hand if you can. Seal it off in an envelope. Put it away for later.
Open it in six months, or a year. When you open it, see if it needs revision. If it does, make the changes, speak powerfully and optimistically in your statement, and seal it up again. Save it for another six months.